How Summer Affects Your Chimney
You may think as the summer months approach there should be no concerns with your chimney. This may be the furthest from the truth. As the summer heat rises the last thing a homeowner wants to think about is their chimney. But yearly maintenance on your chimney by a professional may save you money in the future. Here are some things to look out for.
Summertime Chimney Issues
Structural Damage Take a walk around your house. Observe the bricks and the masonry of your chimney. If you see any cracks, you will want to get those looked at. Water can seep in through small cracks causing damage as it freezes and expands.
- Odors: Summer odors in your fireplace can come from creosote buildup or animal droppings. You can correct these common occurrences with yearly cleanings.You can also spot clean with vinegar around your fireplace.
- Creosote: A dangerous substance that comes from burning wood. Creosote builds up in your fireplace and chimney. If not cleaned out on a regular basis, this can create an unsafe environment for your family. It may also be the cause of chimney fires.
- Climate: Wind and rain from summer storms can cause damage to your chimney cap or flashing. If damaged, this can allow water to seep into the chimney causing damage to the structure of the chimney.
- Animals: Creatures will find their way into chimneys. You will need to remove them before your winter fires. Animals will find a way in if your cap is not structurally secure.
- Efficiency: A/C or heating escaping up the chimney. If your damper is not secure, heat and cool air can escape.
Keep your chimney clean and free of buildup for a safe burning season.You should have your chimney cleaned by a professional on a yearly basis.
Have your chimney checked for small cracks by a professional. Catching these cracks early will prevent further, more expensive damage in the future.
A little prevention goes a long way. Use some of these tips and enjoy your fireplaces for years to come.
Choose an Expert Sweep
When you choose Chimney Sweeps, Inc. for your chimney & fireplace needs, you are getting a generational skill and expertise derived from over 35 years in the industry. You're also getting the friendliness and respect you deserve. When it comes to chimney sweeps in San Diego, CA and surrounding areas, there's no more trusted name to turn to than Chimney Sweeps, Inc.
We promise to give you the highest-quality chimney inspection San Diego, CA has to offer and top quality chimney cleaning San Diego, CA so you feel safe and secure in your home as you enjoy the comfort of your fireplace. Locally recognized with awards and recognitions annually for customer care and support. Give us a call today! Speak with a chimney and fireplace expert today at (619) 593-4020 or request an appointment online HERE.
Consider an Energy Efficient Top Damper
The location of this damper is at the top of the chimney for a more effective way of preventing drafts. Preventing warm and cool air from escaping up your chimney will save you money in the long run on your energy bill. This damper can also prevent water, debris, and unwanted critters from getting in.