Leaky Chimney Repair & Prevention
Water intrusion in a chimney system can result in minor and major problems. Leaky chimneys are one of the primary reasons that so many Southern California homeowners seek the expertise of Chimney Sweep Inc. of Lakeside, CA.
The Dangers of a Leaking Chimney
We use the term “chimney leak” to refer to any situation in which outside water is getting into a chimney system. After 30+ years in business, our team has seen the worst possible water damage to chimneys and homes. We know the causes of leaky chimneys and what leaks can do. We also know how to fix the problem.
How Water Invades a Chimney
Water is pretty sneaky. It has many ways to infiltrate a chimney system, such as:
- Through a damaged chimney cap at the top of the chimney
- Through a cracked chimney crown below the cap
- Through broken bricks in the masonry
- Through decayed mortar joints between the bricks
- Through warped or rusted-out flashing that covers the gap between the chimney and the roof
One of the problems with water intrusion is that you may not know about it until a lot of unseen damage has happened. This is why it’s a smart idea to have our licensed chimney inspectors look at your chimney and fireplace system once a year. We know how to spot early signs of a leaky chimney and resolve them correctly.
What Water Does to Chimneys
Incoming water can lead to many problems. Here are four of the most common:
1. Ongoing deterioration of masonry, possibly resulting in a leaning or collapsed chimney.
2. Rotting in roofs, attics, walls and ceilings that requires costly repair work.
3. Damage to the chimney liner that safeguards your home from smoke, flames and deadly carbon monoxide.
4. Mold outbreaks that spread away from the chimney and through the house.
How We Address Leaky
After a thorough inspection, the Chimney Sweep Inc. crew will determine the best and most cost-efficient way to solve your chimney leak. Here are some strategies we use.
Waterproofing your chimney is a great way to prevent leaks by sealing the masonry.
We’ll replace damaged bricks with new ones, maintaining a uniform appearance.
Here, we scrape away deteriorated mortar and fill in the spaces with a strong new compound.
Component Repair or Replacement:
We can repair or replace damaged chimney caps, chase tops, flashing and crowns.
In extreme cases, we’ll rebuild sections of your chimney or the entire structure from the roof up.
Solve Your Chimney Leak Problems
We at Chimney Sweep Inc. provide CCP-certified services to solve your leaky chimney issues and restore safety and efficiency.
Chimney Sweeping in Southern California
Chimney Sweep Inc. provides CCP-certified services to solve your leaky chimney issues and restore safety and efficiency.
We’re your local chimney experts in Lakeside CA, Oceanside CA, and the greater San Diego CA, area. We serve Coronado CA, Escondido CA, La Mesa CA, and San Clemente CA, along with North Park CA, Alpine CA, Solana Beach CA, and other communities throughout East San Diego County.
Speak with a chimney and fireplace expert today at (619) 593-4020 or request an appointment online here.